Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cliche Warning: My kid is Growing Up TOO Fast!

So my kid...is many things and continues to amaze me with how he is evolving. I mean he is just this mix up of so many things and seeing how he reacts to situations and new things gives me this great insight into how he is growing up. 


He is ten and is this was the first year he didn't believe in Santa Clause. So the dynamics of the holiday really changed. Everything was basically the same when we opened up the presents in the morning but the underlying feeling of surprise and awe just wasn't there. I didn't realize how much joy I got out of his belief in the wonder of Santa Clause. I definitely had a feeling of melancholy this season. I know it is a necessary evil of raising a kid but I'm not liking the speed of him growing up.


The flip side of this is my son is really becoming aware of what we do for him. He actually surveyed the presents and realized we spent a decent chunk of change on him. He was grateful for it and appreciative. He always has been an appreciative kid but I really could see how he was considering what we gave him. It was definitely maturity on his part. He is an only child and I have always worried that we spoil him or are perceived that we do. The hell with what others think. I think he grasps he get more than the average kid and is grateful for it all and that is what is important to me.


So he is growing up and I can't stop it. It is truly a bitter sweet time and I'm doing my best to relish the moments when he is still child like. Just today I talked to him on the phone and he had that excited voice that he couldn't wait to tell me that he fell while he was skiing. He was so excited to tell me he was hurt...that it was his pride that was hurt. It was the best combination of excitement, humor and wit.  It was truly a moment that I relished.

No comments:

Post a Comment